Friday, April 19, 2013

3

I awoke to Dr. Clavel's unmistakably powerful voice resonating at my bedside. "Joshua. How are you feeling?" I complimented him on a job well done and vice versa, and then he said the magic words. Time to pack my things and hit the streets of Barcelona. Either the nurses were sick of seeing my bare feet up and down the halls, or he could tell that I couldn't wait to test out my mechanical spine. In any case, I jumped at the chance to venture back out into the world. Actually, I gave a single fist pump and a grin...but I thought very seriously about jumping with joy. His team of merry maidens went right to work getting me cleared for takeoff. The little check valve was pulled out of my arm, I got a fresh waterproof bandage on my scalpel wound, and I had my first shower since the operation. Two full days is just about the longest that this Pisces can go without a good soak. Brut claims effectiveness for up to 24 hours, and I found out that a reapplication does not buy you any extra time. My beautiful bride collected our effects and we boarded the waiting taxi to descend the mountain and return to the heart of the city for the duration of our stay in Spain. My dad was in the UK on a business trip so he flew over for an evening visit. He was expecting to see me weak and weary in a hospital bed and gown, so I was happy to meet him at the hotel in Josh clothes. Not long after he arrived, a physical therapist showed up with her motorcycle helmet in hand. I love this town. I was feeling loose and limber after being contorted by the two-wheeling body mechanic, so Sarah and I took my Dad down to the sea for some tapas and paella at an outdoor cafe by the beach. We've eaten at a different place every time we've gone out and have yet to find something that wasn't delicious. Frankie would love it here...pizza on every menu. Sarah has been trying them all out for you bud. By the end of the day, I was feeling pretty sore but happy as a clam. One day at a time. No more, no less. Hasta maƱana!

Dr. Clavel's masterpiece.


No comments:

Post a Comment